Re: Upgrading Hard Drives

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:42:58PM +0300, Shachar Or wrote:

> > > There's the -x option for this. It isn't specifically for this purpose
> > > but it works.
> >
> > AFAIU -x will prevent rsync from touching /proc, /sys and /dev, but you
> > will need the directories themselves to be present on the new root
> > partition, so I think it is better to omit -x *if* the system you want
> > to clone is *not* running.
>
> But wait - doesn't it copy the directories themselves, aka the mount points?

man rsync

-x, --one-file-system       don’t cross filesystem boundaries

which means not to traverse any filesystem mounts, which is why it
doesn't do /prox /sys /dev, they are all mounted filesystems (it will
create the mount point though.

The other affect is that it will not copy a mounted /home or any other
mount filesystem if you start at /