RE: Guide to creating a Live CD with Debian Live

> From: Andrei Popescu [mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Guide to creating a Live CD with Debian Live
>
> On Tue,12.Aug.08, 20:48:19, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
>
> [snip and wrap]
>
> > http://www.fwlug.org/fwlug-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=347
> >
> > I would really appreciate any comments and feedback that people
have.
> > I am open to any suggestions from clarity to spelling errors.
> > Especially if you find a problem with it or if something doesn't
work.

> live-helper uses it's own caching mechanism so I don't know what
> benefits apt-cacher will bring

I debated about putting that in there. The reason why I did was because
if someone isn't careful about running lh_clean with the proper flags,
it will flush out all of the deb files too. When I was first working
with Debian Live several months ago I was using the Debian live FAQ as
my sole source of information. Sometimes they list the proper flags and
other times they just say `lh_clean`. I finally came to the conclusion
that if someone was using my guide, as well as reading the FAQ, I don't
want them to accidentally forget a flag and have to re-download the
packages off of someone's mirror multiple times. Even if they have a
fast connection it is still bandwidth pulled from the host mirror. I
just think that this is an easy way to help catch some simple mistakes.

> > If there is something that I don't cover that you think I should
have,
> > please let me know and I will see what I can do to add it.
>
> Do you know of a way to cross-build the nvidia modules package? My
> laptop runs amd64, but I need an i386 one to include with debian live.
> think it will work with a chroot, but I want something simpler.

I have not actually done this. However, the first place I would look is
here:
http://alioth.debian.org/~lamby-guest/live-manual/html/packages.html#cus
tom-packages

Hope that helps!

> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> (Albert Einstein)

Have fun!
~Stack~