Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:57:06PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> There must be a socio-linguistic gap here.
>
> In the US (and probably in Canada/UK/ANZ), there's an expression
> that after the revolution is won, the revolutionary leaders are
> brought "out back" and shot.

Since Canada has no history of revolution I wouldn't expect that this
could be considered a Canadian expression; at least I haven't heard it
before.

Those who disagreed with your revolution came to Canada as United Empire
Loyalists (came is a gentle way to say that the victors kicked them out
with perhaps the clothes on their back.

Of course the British did the same thing when they took over
French-speaking Acadia (now the Maritime Provinces of Canada) and sent
the Acadians to the other French-speaking region of Mosouri (or however
its spelt).