Re: Cloning hda to new internal disk (was Re: [debian-user] How to copy a laptop HD?)

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> Is there any way to directly clone /dev/hda to /dev/sdX, so that I
> can then boot off of /dev/sdX?

I'll probably do the mount and cp -R trick, after partitioning with a
live system, fairly soon, since I just blew some $$$ at Fry's on new
system components (ECS 6100-pn-m motherboard / 2x AMD 64 combo, 5200
mhz, plus a sata 500g drive) - to replace a now  7 year old aging
Athlon tbird setup.

Along the same tangent, I will likely be going to amd64 lenny along
with this, so I've gone and put out my dpkg selections to a file I can
read later after perhaps getting a netinstall image or some such of
debian lenny for an amd64.

I also have ubuntu HH 8.04 cd for amd64, plus I sucked down a dvd of
sabayon 3.5 for amd64 earlier this morning, so I should be set.