acpi kernel modules - obsolete or not?

Hi folks,

I'm building a new 2.6.25 kernel for my laptop and when I boot
it I get the message:
Can't access ACPI events in /var/run/acpid.socket.
Make sure the ACPI subsystem is working and the acpid daemon
is running.

Well no, the subsystem is not working and the acpid daemon
was not running. The power applet says the system is running
on AC power. No battery is present (false). acpid is installed
but doesn't start. The error message is: acpid: can't open
/proc/acpid/event: No such file or directory.

So I went back to the kernel and recompiled after enabling
in Power Management/ACPI/
config_acpi_proc_event
config_acpi_procfs
config_acpi_procfs_power
This worked. The error messages disappeared and the battery
power icon showed up and indicates that the battery is
now present.

These features are supposed to be deprecated. But clearly
at least one major applet depends upon them. Have they been
successfully replaced? Or is there something else I should
be enabling in the kernel? Should I report this as a bug?
To whom? Is it a kernel bug or a Gnome bug?

	b.