Re: [OT] FOSS Marketplace

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 05:08:57PM +0200, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am using debian etch for everyday task since 2005. As more
> as I learn about computer I realize that one can do all the things
> on e can do with the other proprietary systems. The only drawback
> of FOSS is that it is sometimes harder to configure. The idea which
> came to my mind some time ago was to establish a marketplace
> where "geeks" meet "normal" users.
> On the marketplace people could ask: "Who can set up a mythTV
> media center for me?" Questions like this aren't asked on lists
> (e.g. debian-users) which brought myself to the idea that maybe
> there is a market for such problems.
> Such a marketplace would help to promote FOSS. A drawback of it
> is that money is going to be involved but probably this kind of
> drawback will be reduced by an intelligent control structures.
> Does something like this already exist in the FOSS world? Do you
> consider this as a rather sound or a rather stupid idea?
>
> Cheers

One of the mainstays of the FLOSS world is the installfest. These are
used to help new users install a free operating system. But it has also
included other things:
- help a user solve an existing problem
- mull over the latest in FLOSS developments over a (root)beer.
- ask for advice about hardware
- expand and reinforce the community aspect of FLOSS
- etc.

Since supposedly every family uses Vista and has some relative to
'support' the family PC, it has always been part of the mission to have
some local community to support those folks who use FLOSS. Sometimes its
an installfest, a LUG, or SIG.

-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|