I/O error reading swsusp image with 2.6.18-6-686

It's been over 48 hrs, and I didn't get a single bite on this, so thought I'd try again. I have a problem that only raises it's head with the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel, but not the 2.6.18-4-686:

I've been struggling with my server not rebooting due to stopping at the
error:

<snip>
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda2) = hda2(3,2)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda2
Attempting manual resume
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
I/O error reading swsusp image.

The boot stops at this point.  Painfully, when this first occurred, I wasn't
able to solve it, and actually reinstalled etch and then my last backup
files.  Later I learned that if I had just booted from a different kernel
(2.6.18-4 instead of -6), it would've booted fine!

Anyway, tonight I decided to try to reinstall 2.6.18-6-686 to stay up to
date.  In my newbieness, I uninstalled 2.6.18-6, and then reinstalled it.
However, when I try to boot 2.6.18-6, I get the sususp error and it won't
boot!  Of course, I can still boot with the -4 kernel fine.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I have no idea why it's talking about
swsusp.  (The uswsusp package is not installed, and there hasn't been any
suspending going on that I know about.)

Thanks a bunch!  - John