Re: Mouse click acting strange after Lenny updates

Problem resolved. See below.

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 20:14, Nigel Henry wrote:
> There's a bit more info below, while trying to find out what is going on
> here.
>
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008 14:09, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Folks. I found I hadn't updated my Lenny install for nearly 2 months,
> > and after a 3 day dialup session in downloading, and installing 800Mb of
> > updates, the mouse has started to act a bit strange.
> >
> > It was ok after the updates, but after a reboot, and logging in to KDE,
> > If I click on a desktop icon, it turns blue, (much as it does on other
> > distros where you have to double click, and only click once). If I double
> > click an icon now on Lenny, it opens 2 instances, of for example a
> > terminal. If I click, hold for a moment, then release, again it opens 2
> > instances of an app.
> >
> > I had a good look in K control, but nothing jumped out, as to what I
> > coul;d change to get the old behaviour back.
> >
> > I can still single click on the panel, for instance on the home icon, and
> > the file manager opens (only one instance of it). The problem behaviour
> > appears to be limited to the actual desktop, and anything (file manager
> > for example) that is open on it. Saying that though, I've just opened
> > mhWaveedit (again 2 instances opened), but all the control buttons work
> > ok on it, with just a single click (the normal behaviour). By contrast
> > the file, and edit buttons do not display the drop down menu. A single
> > click gives only a quick flash of the menu, but if I click, and hold, the
> > menu displays, and I can slide the mouse pointer down the menu to a
> > specific item, and releasing the mouse results in the action selected.
> >
> > Anyone know how I might fix the problem?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Update:
>
> I'd created a new user a while back, as I'd had a problem with KDE after
> updates on Lenny, so logged out, and back in using the new user, but same
> mouse problems. In addition when the bootup gets as far as KDM, I can click
> on the login button, and that works, but the menu button, which should
> offer up a menu, does not work, just a quick flash, and no menu.
>
> Ok. Now I create another new user, and logout. KDM (who's menu button is
> not working, so I can't select KDE) logs me in to Gnome. Now I don't use
> Gnome, but am interested in seeing how the mouse behaves.
>
> A single click works ok in Gnome on a desktop icon, and consequent single
> clicks on files, etc, work ok. There is still a problem with drop down
> menus though. On the top taskbar, clicking on "Applications, Places, or
> System" gives me a quick flash of the menu, but I need to click, and hold
> to retain the menu list, then as in KDE, I can slide the mouse pointer down
> the menu list, and select something or other, and releasing the mouse
> enables the selected menu entry.

> Thanks as always for any help.
>
> Nigel.

A private e-mail sent to me from someone on either the Debian-User list, or
the KDE list, has enabled me to resolve the mouse problem.

All I had to do was edit a line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf relating to the mouse.

Section  "InputDevice"          "Generic Mouse"

                Option       "SendCoreEvents"      "true"

I changed the above line from "true" to "false", as suggested, and now the
mouse works as it always has done in the past.

Having made the changes, a logout, followed by logging back in to KDE did not
fix the problem. A reboot was necessary.

Nigel.