Re: reportbug problem

Hugo, Michael, and Frank all pointed into the direction of exim4.
This was correct. Being conservative, I had always resisted
upgrading from exim3 to exim4 (because exim4's configuration is
more difficult). The latest sid upgrade apparently became annoyed
at this and removed exim3, declaring it "obsolete" -- but without
replacing it by anything else.. so I had no mta.

Why Sid suddenly has become so intolerant of exim3 I don't know.

I could continue to use e-mail (but not reportbug) because my
configuration is:

vega -> procyon -> internet

procyon is my Sarge "home server" (still running exim3). vega is
my "normal" computer. An mta on vega is only necessary for
programs like reportbug and mail (i.e. "mail", the classic
program). Other programs (mua's like icedove) already know that
procyon is the outgoing smtp server. Maybe I can teach this fact
to reportbug and mail also (how?). If so, I won't need an mta on vega.

Anyway dpkg -l grep exim on vega revealed that exim3 had been
removed. So crossing my fingers I installed exim4 on vega and told
it that procyon was the smarthost. It worked. Thanks to all who
responded!

Regards, Jan