Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On 15/05/2008, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > How does this work with GPLv3? They changed it from "distribute" to
>  > "convey". Is Airbus conveying the software to its customers or not? If
>  > there is a way to bring a USB dongle and get some of the software from
>  > the entertainment system in the Airbus passenger seats, has that
>
> I believe that's called "Stealing" and in a ruling totally non-GPL
>  related, is illegal.

I'll ignore the usage of the word "steal" in the context of non-rival
goods, which to me looks like a silly word to use here.

Setting that aside, you bring up an interesting point. If I take GPLed
code, I modify it internally, and somehow it leaks outside, is the
person who takes it infringing copyright or not? I say they're not,
since the code isn't copyrighted to me even if I modified it. On the
other hand, they can't force me to distribute the source either, since
I didn't convey the code, right? It just got leaked somehow.

Curious hypothetical situation.

- Jordi G. H.