Re: Inconsistent state in util-linux

On 05/15/2008 12:49 PM, Joey Hess wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of

Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
/usr/local without messing up debian automated systems.  Why is apt or
grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?

By installing a file in /usr/local/share/perl/<version>/ , you are
telling perl "hey, if you're version <version> of perl, here is a nice
file that I went out of my way to locally install for you. So use it
instead of the file that is included in your regular package. Because I
asked you to, nicely. TIA. Oh, and if the file is bad, please still use
it, and blow up in arbitrary ways. Because I asked you to use it, and I
know better than you."

:-)

Indeed. I have several CPAN-installed modules under /usr/local, but they are in places where they can't be found* without setting PERL5LIB (which is unset when I use aptitude). I never hear a peep from the package manager about those CPAN modules.

------
* By Perl, by default.