Re: apt-get question..

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 08:24:24PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:31:15PM -0400, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> was heard to say:
> > >
> > > If a package is listed as a recommends and you consider it should only
> > > be a suggests it is considered a bug.
> >
> > Yes but just because its recommended, things still work just fine.  I
> > have all kinds of packages that don't have all the cruft that they
> > recommend.
> >
> > If you have a simple one-liner that will provide you with a list of the
> > packages which are recommended by installed packages but which aren't
> > themselves insalled, let me know.  I'll run it and send you the results.
>
>     aptitude search '~Rrecommends:~i!~i'
>
>   or to ignore recommendations that are satisfied (e.g., ORs)
>
>     aptitude search '~RBrecommends:~i'

I've attached the output of this command; its fairly long.

As examples, something depended on myspell (I use aspell) and myspell
recommends the dictionaries for every language on the planet.  I don't
use a DTE but icewm, however something thinks I need hal and pmount.

Thanks,
Doug.

p   akregator                       - RSS feed aggregator for KDE
p   belocs-locales-data             - base files for localization
p   buffer                          - Buffering/reblocking program for tape back
p   ca-certificates                 - Common CA Certificates PEM files
p   dvipdfmx                        - A DVI to PDF translator with CJK support
p   esound-clients                  - Enlightened Sound Daemon - clients
p   feynmf                          - set of LaTeX macros for creating Feynman d
p   gdb                             - The GNU Debugger
p   hal                             - Hardware Abstraction Layer
p   hfsutils                        - Tools for reading and writing Macintosh vo
p   jackd                           - JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and exam
p   kamera                          - digital camera io_slave for Konqueror
p   kdemultimedia-kio-plugins       - enables the browsing of audio CDs under Ko
p   kdeprint                        - print system for KDE
p   kmail                           - KDE Email client
p   kooka                           - scanner program for KDE
p   laptop-detect                   - attempt to detect a laptop
p   latex-beamer                    - LaTeX class to produce presentations
p   latex-xcolor                    - Easy driver-independent TeX class for colo
p   libarts1-akode                  - akode plugin for aRts
p   libatk1.0-data                  - Common files for the ATK accessibility too
p   libglib2.0-data                 - Common files for GLib library
p   libhtml-format-perl             - Format HTML syntax trees
p   libmail-sendmail-perl           - Send email from a perl script
p   libmailtools-perl               - Manipulate email in perl programs
p   libmudflap0-dev                 - GCC mudflap support libraries (development
p   libparse-debianchangelog-perl   - parse Debian changelogs and output them in
p   libtasn1-3-bin                  - Manage ASN.1 structures (binaries)
p   locales                         - GNU C Library: National Language (locale)
p   locales-all                     - GNU C Library: Precompiled locale data
p   myspell-bg                      - The Bulgarian dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-ca                      - Catalan dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-cs-cz                   - Czech dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-da                      - The Comprehensive Danish Dictionary (DSDO)
p   myspell-de-at                   - Austrian (German) dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-de-ch                   - Swiss (German) dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-de-de                   - German dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-de-de-oldspell          - German dictionary for myspell (old orthogr
v   myspell-dictionary              -
p   myspell-en-au                   - English_australian dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-en-gb                   - English_british dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-en-us                   - English_american dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-eo                      - Esperanto dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-es                      - Spanish dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-et                      - Estonian dictionary for MySpell
p   myspell-fi                      - The Finnish dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-fo                      - The Faroese dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-fr                      - The French dictionary for myspell (Hydro-Q
p   myspell-fr-gut                  - The French dictionary for myspell (GUTenbe
p   myspell-ga                      - An Irish (Gaeilge) dictionary for OpenOffi
p   myspell-gd                      - Scots Gaelic dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-gl-es                   - Galician dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-gv                      - Manx Gaelic dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-he                      - Hebrew dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-hr                      - Croatian dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-hu                      - The Hungarian dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-it                      - Italian dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-ku                      - Kurdish (Kurmanji) dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-lt                      - myspell dictionary for Lithuanian (LT)
p   myspell-lv                      - Latvian MySpell dictionary
p   myspell-nl                      - Dutch dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-nn                      - Norwegian nynorsk dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-pl                      - The Polish dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-pt-br                   - Brazilian Portuguese dictionary for myspel
p   myspell-pt-pt                   - European Portuguese dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-ru                      - Russian dictionary for MySpell
p   myspell-sk                      - The Slovak dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-sv-se                   - Swedish (SE) dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-sw                      - Swahili dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-th                      - Thai dictionary for myspell
p   myspell-uk                      - Ukrainian dictionary for myspell
p   ncompress                       - Original Lempel-Ziv compress/uncompress pr
p   notification-daemon             - a daemon that displays passive pop-up noti
p   nvidia-kernel-source            - NVIDIA binary kernel module source
p   p7zip-full                      - 7z and 7za file archivers with high compre
p   perl-doc                        - Perl documentation
p   perl-suid                       - Runs setuid Perl scripts
p   pgf                             - TeX Portable Graphic Format
p   pmount                          - mount removable devices as normal user
p   prosper                         - LaTeX class for writing transparencies
p   sane-utils                      - API library for scanners -- utilities
p   syslinux                        - Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS flo
p   tetex-base                      - Basic TeX input files of teTeX
p   tetex-bin                       - The teTeX programs
p   texpower                        - Macros for creating professional presentat
p   tipa                            - System for processing phonetic symbols in
p   toilet                          - display large colourful characters in text
p   vcdimager                       - A VideoCD (VCD) image mastering and rippin
p   xml-core                        - XML infrastructure and XML catalog file su
p   xresprobe                       - X Resolution Probe
p   zip                             - Archiver for .zip files
p   zoo                             - manipulate zoo archives