Re: the document "Sound in Debian GNU/Linux"

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 18:21, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> This document,
> "http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applicatio
>ns_.28OSS_applications.29_produce_no_sound_in_AL" in revision 1.2, 27th
> November 2007 states,
> "... Rename the file instead: # mv /etc/modprobe.conf
> /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
>
> Now run alsaconf again and everything should work."
>
> Well the system here is the latest lenny with kernel 2.6.24-1-686.
> Neither /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
> exist in this system.  Still, alsaconf must run each time
> the system is started.  Otherwise the on-board Intel sound
> hardware is not useable.
>
> "Run udevtrigger as user root: # udevtrigger --verbose"
>
> Sorry but udevtrigger is no help!
>
> "This should reload the modules you need. On next reboot, your system will
> find your soundcard."
>
> No such luck.
>
> "... If this does not work for you, please send a message to the
> [Debian-User list] with the details. "
>
> Also, the C-Media based Altec Lansing USB audio adapter has
> not worked for at least a month.  Sound is a disaster area.
>
> Thanks,          ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. I saw a suggestion to add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules when there
were sound problems requiring you to run alsaconf after each reboot. Quite
why this is necessary, I've no idea, but hda-intel cards present a plethora
of problems, as they are all different, depending on the mobo they are setup
on.

All the best.

Nigel.