Re: Mouse click acting strange after Lenny updates

There's a bit more info below, while trying to find out what is going on here.

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 14:09, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Hi Folks. I found I hadn't updated my Lenny install for nearly 2 months,
> and after a 3 day dialup session in downloading, and installing 800Mb of
> updates, the mouse has started to act a bit strange.
>
> It was ok after the updates, but after a reboot, and logging in to KDE, If
> I click on a desktop icon, it turns blue, (much as it does on other distros
> where you have to double click, and only click once). If I double click an
> icon now on Lenny, it opens 2 instances, of for example a terminal. If I
> click, hold for a moment, then release, again it opens 2 instances of an
> app.
>
> I had a good look in K control, but nothing jumped out, as to what I coul;d
> change to get the old behaviour back.
>
> I can still single click on the panel, for instance on the home icon, and
> the file manager opens (only one instance of it). The problem behaviour
> appears to be limited to the actual desktop, and anything (file manager for
> example) that is open on it. Saying that though, I've just opened
> mhWaveedit (again 2 instances opened), but all the control buttons work ok
> on it, with just a single click (the normal behaviour). By contrast the
> file, and edit buttons do not display the drop down menu. A single click
> gives only a quick flash of the menu, but if I click, and hold, the menu
> displays, and I can slide the mouse pointer down the menu to a specific
> item, and releasing the mouse results in the action selected.
>
> Anyone know how I might fix the problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nigel.

Update:

I'd created a new user a while back, as I'd had a problem with KDE after
updates on Lenny, so logged out, and back in using the new user, but same
mouse problems. In addition when the bootup gets as far as KDM, I can click
on the login button, and that works, but the menu button, which should offer
up a menu, does not work, just a quick flash, and no menu.

Ok. Now I create another new user, and logout. KDM (who's menu button is not
working, so I can't select KDE) logs me in to Gnome. Now I don't use Gnome,
but am interested in seeing how the mouse behaves.

A single click works ok in Gnome on a desktop icon, and consequent single
clicks on files, etc, work ok. There is still a problem with drop down menus
though. On the top taskbar, clicking on "Applications, Places, or System"
gives me a quick flash of the menu, but I need to click, and hold to retain
the menu list, then as in KDE, I can slide the mouse pointer down the menu
list, and select something or other, and releasing the mouse enables the
selected menu entry.

btw: I havn't messed about with installing KDE 4 for example, these are just
updates obtained from running apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade from
the repo's for Lenny.

I know Lenny/Testing can go a bit pear shaped from time to time, but I'm a bit
lost as to how to resolve this problem.

Thanks as always for any help.

Nigel.