Re: 64bit vs i386

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:31:40AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/13/08 22:15, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:45:48AM -0700, Abraham Chaffin wrote:
> >
> >> wondering if it makes a difference if I install the 64bit version of
> >> the debian vs the i386 version of debian? If it's just running apache,
> >
> > You will pay a performance penalty if you run 32-bit on a 64-bit system.
>
> How so?  (That's the polite way of saying, "You're wrong.")

Less registers for one -> more expensive accessess of variables and
other data. How much of a hit that makes depends on the s/w run but I'd
say it's a safe bet that most if not all things will go a tad faster.

> > You may also not be able to access all your RAM,
>
> Sure, on the 80486 or early Pentia.  But everything since then has PAE.

With a performance hit. :)

--
    "Police noticed some rustling sounds from Linn's bottom area
    and on closer inspection a roll of cash was found protruding