Re: Reducing wastage of screen real estate in gnome

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 03:58:03PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/12/08 09:35, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > I have a 15" monitor at home running at 1024x768. I find that for most
>
> Maybe you're a Starving College Student, or maybe things cost more
> in India (tariffs on imported Chinese goods?), but 17" LCD monitors
> are pretty darned cheap.  And you should be able to find used CRT
> monitors even cheaper.

In all fairness, telling someone that a software problem (go ahead, call
it a bug) is best fixed by upgrading hardware is a cop-out one would
expect of a hardware vendor with propriatary software.  It is not an
answer worthy of an open source product.

I have a 9" bw monitor.  I get along just fine with icewm.  I'm sure
there are other wm's that allow you to control what you need.

Gnome is all about eye-candy.  Candy is sugar which is stored as fat.
Eye-candy apps get fat.  Fat apps need bigger monitors...

Doug.