Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On 13/05/2008, Nicolas George <nicolas.george@normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le quintidi 25 floréal, an CCXVI, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :

Floréal? :-)

>  > I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
>  > browsing the Octave mailing lists.
>  >
>  > Can anyone suggest a fix?
>

> You could try a Greasemonkey script to add the "display: none" style to the
>  rule for the div containing the ads. With the current layout, it is the
>  "yxEQwb" class, but it may change.

Ugh. Obfuscation and deception. I guess I could work around it and we
could have a nice arms race with adblocking, but now I'm starting to
think that the less I have to rely on Google, the better.

>  > I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
>  > better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
>  > to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.
>

> I assume you already know all about Gmane.

Actually I didn't... It looks like an option, but now I'm flirting
right now with the idea of using Lavabit, which looks like a nice
alternative, and I'd be quite happy to pay for a quality webmail
service (or at least pay what they're asking, which seems to be 16 USD
per annum), except that they have all this "intellectual property"
nonsense in their Terms Of Service.

Any recommendation for a quality webmail service that uses free
software? I don't mind paying for the service, but I feel rather more
comfortable if I know that they use free software, maybe even Debian.
:-) If not, I think I may try out Lavabit.

- Jordi G. H.