Re: Reducing wastage of screen real estate in gnome

On May 12, 3:40 pm, Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a 15" monitor at home running at 1024x768. I find that for most
> apps, very little screen estate is left for the actual stuff and most of
> it is eaten up by the menubars, toolbars, and othe gui elements. I have
> my gnome preferences set to small icons for the toolbars without text.
>
> Are there any other configuration parameters that can be tweaked in my
> gtkrc (or elsewhere) to reduce/remove the extra space around the toolbar
> icons and make better use of screen space?

Being on a laptop, I used to have the very same problem. As others
pointed out, setting the taskbar to autohide and changing each
application toolbars via the 'view' (usually) menu helps a lot.
Choosing a minimalistic theme does its part too.

But if you really want to avoid all that altogether you should change
window manager. This sounds easier than it is, at least for not very
patient people like me: normally you have to spend some time
configuring the new toy to tame it.

For what is worth, after a good deal of trial periods I went for Ion
and scrapped everything else. Simply fantastic. Granted, I didn't just
want to optimise screen usage, but to get some efficiency back to the
way I interact with my coputer.

> Politics is for the moment. An equation is for eternity.
>                                         -- Albert Einstein

But we live right here right now, and not a thousand years ahead in
time.