Re: Kernel panic: initramfs problem?

Bill wrote:
Hi folks,

I have to compile a vanilla kernel 2.6.25 to access a new wireless
module and keep things as small as possible on this old laptop.

So far so good. Everything compiles and all but I can't reboot
with the new kernel. Everything is fine using the 2.6.18.6 stock
kernel but the new one - no joy.

Google reveals plenty of similar error messages - but no solutions. Might it be some sort of mount or ramdisk problem?

Here's the output from the last boot screen:

Begin: running /scripts/local-premount
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda5) = (dev3,5)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda5 [aka swap, hda1 is /]
PM: starting manual resume from /dev/hda5
kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot
resume: libcrypt version 1.2.3
resume: could not read the image
Done.
ReiserFS: hda1: found ReiserFS format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered Data mode
ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal \
	first block 18, max. trans len 1024, max. batch 900, max. \
  	committ age 30, max. trans. age 30
ReiserFS: checking transactions log (hda1)
ReiserFS: using r5 hash to sort names
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom
Done.
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: Invalid argument
Done.
run-init: making initramfs contents: Directory not empty
kernel-panic: not syncing : attempted to kill init!

Can anyone be of help diagnosing this problem. Any pointers links or suggestions as to the cause much appreciated.

Sid, Etch, Lenny?
2.6.25 is out in Sid.

Hugo