Re: Kernel panic: initramfs problem?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:14:04AM -0700, Bill wrote:
> Hi folks,

> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom
> mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: Invalid argument
> Done.
> run-init: making initramfs contents: Directory not empty
> kernel-panic: not syncing : attempted to kill init!

I would focus on that failed mount command. Look in
/usr/share/initramfs-tool/scripts/init-bottom/ and you will find some
scripts. Pick through the sh code looking for the appropriate mount
statement. See if you can debug that thing.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't have clear evidence that it's
not my fault and so haven't pursued it closely (time is a factor as
well). Namely, several of the commands appear  to be broken or at
least "different" in the current crop of initrds. I see this cropping
up in my custom boot scripts that unlock luks partitions in
particular. at least mount and sed aren't working properly (as I'd
expect anyway). There may be others.