Reducing wastage of screen real estate in gnome

I have a 15" monitor at home running at 1024x768. I find that for most apps, very little screen estate is left for the actual stuff and most of it is eaten up by the menubars, toolbars, and othe gui elements. I have my gnome preferences set to small icons for the toolbars without text.

Are there any other configuration parameters that can be tweaked in my gtkrc (or elsewhere) to reduce/remove the extra space around the toolbar icons and make better use of screen space?

I almost wish the gtk/gnome devs had smaller monitors :-)

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi