Re: Clearing SWAP

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:27:32AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/11/08 06:57, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >> Don't be dense.
> >
> > You have mangled the phrase "money makes the world go round" to suit
> > yourself. Confusing revenue with profit is not to be encouraged.
>
> I don't think that you and I are going to agree about this.

> >> Greed is ingrained into all humans.  Getting rid of it is as
> >> impossible as preventing the earth from spinning.
> >
> > No, its not "ingrained" in *all* humans, that's a blatant generalisation
> > which is plain wrong.
>
> Well, ok, you're correct.  "All" is too big of a word.  "Most",
> then.  And a good number of those who think they aren't, could
> easily become greedy with a little influence.

I think its a cultural thing.  Perhaps you mean that greed is ingrained
in most Americans.  The drive for individual happiness instead of
societal happiness is one of the key differences between Canadian
culture, as a whole, and American culture, as a whole.  Perhaps you find
a difference east/west within the USA; there is in Canada.  Eastern
Canada has more in common (including relatives) with Eastern US than
with Western Canada.  Alberta is more akin to Texas and the Gulph States
than any other Canadian province.  B.C, is more related to the West
Coast States than to the Maritimes even though they are both on the
ocean.

Is green ingrained in all of those cultures?  No.  In Canada, it is most
ingrained in Alberta culture and least in Newfoundland's culture.
(excluding the areas of Canada north of 60 which are a world apart.  95%
of Canadians live within 200 miles of the US boarder).  Also excuding
Toronto since its a world unto itself as well with Canada's richest and
poorest citizens.

Doug.