Re: decoding ape_audiofiles

Nicolas George wrote:
Le tridi 23 floréal, an CCXVI, steef a écrit :
hi list is there a (debian) way to decode .apefiles into .flac or .wav under etch? just to decode some fine jazz-music by tommy flanagan.

imo i need the mac-library, but this software seems to be unfree
i know of shntool, lame etc.

There is a Free monkeyaudio (= .ape) decoder in libavcodec/ffmpeg. I was
about to says that it was twice slower than the proprietary official
decoder, but I just re-did a benchmark and found exactly the same decoding
time, so either my memory was wrong or its performance has increased.

This decoder was merged in libavcodec last September; current Debian version
of libavcodec dates back to last March: you will have ti build your own.
Which is advisable anyway, since the Debian version lacks a lot of encoders.

Regards,

thanks nicolas,

i 'll do just that.

regards,