Re: hostname question

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 03:02:12PM +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP
> addresses.  Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the
> db ips and server ips.
>
> Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser"
> etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.
>
> Is this something that can be done?  Could someone please give me some
> pointer on how to do it?

Some routers have the possibility to assign fixed IPs, but I guess you
already checked this.

It might also work without DHCP, did you try just putting a static
config in the respective /etc/network/interfaces? Also, if the router
has some kind of DNS caching it might be possible that it can also
resolve the names of your local machines.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)