Re: Option to call apt install package to local directory

On 5/11/08, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:27:15PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>  > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:00:33PM +1000, hce wrote:
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > What is the command to make "apt-get install package" to install the
>  > > package to my local directory rather than /usr?
>  >
>  > I don't know of any such option for dpkg (which is what apt uses to
>  > actually install the packages), but maybe you should explain what your
>  > real goal is. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see 'man hier') was
>  > created for a purpose.
>  >

> There are 2 things related to the OP request:
>  A)download the DEB to an alternative location
>  B)install the DEB to an alternative location
>  A is possible. B has limitations like the FHS.
>  -K

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll try different options. I was
searching mysql C client sample code and installing mysql development
pacakge. My root partition has limited space, I have to install the
development package to my local user partition.

Kind Regards.

Jim