Re: X server restarts unexpectedly

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> > Sorry for the really long no-response period - I've been busy, and
> > since this issue isn't really mission critical, I've been living with
> > it or working around it for quite a while.
> >
> > Disk space is definitely not the problem - I have plenty of room on
> > all partitions.  I tried creating a new user (with adduser), but the
> > new user has the same problem.
> >
> > I don't really want to install another desktop environment or wm, but
> > the problem happened whether I was using xfwm or compiz.
> >
> > That's all I have time for right now - thanks for the help.
> >

>  In that case, I'd rum memtest86.

I installed and ran memtest86+, and it reported no errors.  As a
update - x restarting on openoffice.org must have been a bug an the
oo.o side, because it's fixed now.  However, logging out of XFCE4
still causes X to restart (by which I mean the nvidia splash screen
pops up, so gdm must have restarted)
--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138