Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
>  On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:04:46AM +0200, Ivan Savcic wrote:
> >
> > AFAIK, RMS considers only one distribution to be really and truly free
> > -- it's the Gentoo based Ututo[1]. He talked about this in his talk he
> > held in Belgrade, Serbia.
>
>  I have a problem with this. Debian, in it's default install is almost
>  assuredly GNU free. And it has the additional freedom of allowing the
>  user to choose to use non-free software within the structure of its
>  packaging system. IMO that is more free than preventing people from
>  using the software they want.

I have the same problem with it.

This is the best thing I've seen in this thread.  The GPL applies to
developers and distributors who want to use free software in their
productions, as in re-using other's code.

It does not apply to users.  The whole intent of the GPL is to free
users to be able to use their stuff.  Stock Debian is pure GPL.
Debian is not to blame if its user slurps from debian-multimedia.
When/if they morph into devs or distribs, then they need to consider
the GPL, not before.