Re: [Somewhat OT] Closed source software Was [Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]]

Michael C wrote:
| Hal Vaughan wrote:

|>> Honi soit qui mal y pense!
|>>

|> Merde!
|>
|> Granted that's just my opinion, based on what I've read and less than
|> 2 1/2 hours at one of his talks (including some time talking to him
|> afterwards), so I could be way off base, but I did get the sense that
|> his world definitely starts and ends with his own views -- and
|> basically contains only his views.
|>

|>> The FSF's list curiously doesn't mention the GNU Foundation's support
|>> for the Win32 port of emacs and gcc:
|>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
|>>

|> I admire RMS and a lot of what he's done.  I'm currently working on
|> source for controlling an HD radio in C++ so I'm using gcc, based on
|> his earlier version and he did write emacs (isn't that an OS or
|> religion?).  That doesn't mean that I think he carries things too far.
|>
|> But then again, maybe it's that blindness and need of his to go too
|> far that has achieved what he has.
|>
|> Hal
|>

| FWIW, I don't have any particular problem with the notion -- implicit in
| Stallman's position -- that there's a set of positive political freedoms
| which *morally* override the permissive freedom to install proprietary
| software.

Ah, but there are many who would disagree with that position.  There was a
person who once said words to the effect that someone who will not fight for
freedom does not deserve it.  Then there are the UN Conventions on Human Rights
- - these state, basically, IIRC that the rights of the individual are more
important than any particular moral or political override.

The idea that using closed source software is morally wrong, it problematic, at
best, since:
1.  If you drive a car built after a certain point, you are using closed source
software (the computer that controls your engine, and the one that monitors
your acceleration and activates your airbag).
2.  If you use a cell phone, you are using closed source software (the ROM chip
set that controls the phone - i.e. finds the cell tower signals and locks on).
3.  If you use just about ANY computer, you are using closed source software
(various ROM and EPROM chips on the mainboard, and on any cards that you add on).
4.  If you use a television, you are using closed source software (the tuner
and various ROM chips).
5.  If you use pharmaceuticals, cleaning products, etc. you are, by proxy,
using closed source software (the software that controls the production
process, the software that the pharmacy uses to fill you prescription, and so on).

I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

| What concerns me is that Richard, in common with many people
| half-seduced by their followers' portrayal of themselves as a
| prophet/guru figure, has stopped listening to anyone outside of his
| coterie of sycophants.

I cannot disagree with this.

Chris