Re: Distributions

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:50:02AM +0200, Ivan Savcic wrote:

> While we're on the topic, can anyone sum it up, what do people
> generally think is "bad" with Debian?

Doesn't run well on old (e.g. 10 years old) hardware.  Installer needs
too much memory, an install takes too much disk space.  Apt (or is it
dpkg) tends to drag too much into memory.  Aptitude hits swap on my 64
MB P-II.  Takes 2 minutes of 100% CPU to go from login to bash prompt on
my 486 with Etch, only a few seconds with Sarge, and pretty well
instantaneous on Woody and modern OpenBSD (and this with identical bash
startup scripts).

It probably has to do with needing everything to work for people using
every language and glyphs under the sun.  This is a good thing for them,
and a non-issue for anyone using a box less than a few years old, but
for me using LANG=C, it uses up too many resources.

Doug.