Re: "dpkg --configure -a" crashed the system

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:27:59AM +0200, s. keeling wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
> >  On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 06:51:49PM +1000, hce wrote:
> > >
> > > I ran following command and got an error.
> > >
> > > $ apt-get install lighttpd
> > > E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> > > to correct the problem.
> > >
> > > I then ran the dpkg, and did not know why it went to call setting up
> > > my ndas driver and then freezed my system. I have to pull the power
> >
> >  because the -a flag means "all", so every package gets reconfigured.
> >
> >  now, as to why that might cause the system to crash, I don't know.
>
> Ever tried it?  I haven't.  It may loop one by one through them all
> nicely, or it may be feircely resource dependent, and he doesn't have
> enough machine to keep up.  Next throw away install I do, I'm going to
> try it.  Thanks.

I've done it, no problem, on a low-resource system.  It goes one-by-one
although I forget how it decides the order.  It is no more
resource-dependent than any other shell script and doesn't do anything
more than would have been done during the package install.  However,
perhaps it found a weakness in the system, in the same way that
compiling taxes a system in unusual ways.  I'm thinking re drive system
or it found a kernel bug...

Doug.