Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Chris Walters wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> | On 04/03/08 15:39, Ivan Savcic wrote:
> |> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron Johnson
> |> <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>

> |> No, it's just you can't have all. It's a matter of compromise. A
> |> "pick two" game, if you wish. And Debian simply can't please
> |> everyone. The point is, why be bothered by that? Debian set it's
> |> goals and a corresponding target group was gathered around them.
> |> And a good one, if you ask me.
> |
> | Because it's "elitist" to not want to please all the people all the
> | time...
>
> No, it is elitist to say, "Debian is the only good distribution, the
> only truly GNU/Linux distribution worth having.  All others are for
> the uneducated masses, who don't care about being right.  We are
> smarter and better than they are, because we choose Debian - all hail
> the mighty Debian!"

According to St. IGNUcious himself (aka RMS), at a talk I saw him give
last Thursday, Debian isn't a true GNU/Linux distro because it includes
non-free software.

I'm not saying I agree with him on this, but it is his opinion that
there are only a few truly free distros out there.  He named them and
I've forgotten them, but they were not any names I recognized or had
heard of before and I'm familiar with at least the top 25-50 names.

Hal