Re: Display managers fail since latest upgrade to Lenny

Quoth "Joost Witteveen" <joosteto@gmail.com>:
> On 03/04/2008, Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>>  Since I last upgraded my Lenny box, both xdm and gdm silently fail to
>>  start at boot time.
>>
>>  Actually, something in each of their init scripts fails and they are
>>  never actually called.
>
> you could type
>
> sh -x /etc/init.d/gdm start
>
> to see what gets executed, and maybe have a better idea of what causes
> the problem.

Thanks for your tip.  It helped me find the answer... uswsusp was
upgraded and when asked if I wanted a fancy splash image I blithely
answered yes and installed 'splashy' not knowning that it affects
virtually everything, including the behaviour of your display manager.

Sebastian

--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
http://sebyte.org/eap.html