Re: Sony VAIO support, anyone have experience?

Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to buy a new laptop primarily to move away from PowerPC so that my
> machine is better supported by a default Debian installation.
>
> I really like the look of the VAIOs but wanted to know if anyone has any
> feedback on how well supported they are. I don't want to be patching kernels or
> hacking my xorg to get things running smoothly.
>
> Wireless would be nice too, preferably without using non-free software.

I have an older model, VGN-N11S and it works fine, but it heavily
depends on the model. What you need is a somewhat recent kernel for
stuff like the backlight.
At least in my toaster wireless works fine too (with the
iwl-module). The driver is in the kernel, what you do need is the
firmware though.

> Thanks,

Tom

--
Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod
in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and