Re: Urgent: upgrading ipw3945 to 2.6.24

On 01 Apr 2008, Jeff D wrote:

> > That's all very well, but I couldn't get ipw3945-modules-2.6.24 to build
> > for me, although 2.6.23 did. And don't say I should switch to iwl3945
> > because I've never got that to work in spite of following all the
> > instructions. As a result of this "improvement" I cannot use a kernel
> > later than 2.6.23 in my laptop.
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> As of kernel 2.6.24 the driver for the 3945 and 4965 intel wireless cards
> have been built into the kernel. While I do not have a 3945, I have the
> 4965.  I was building the modules for each kernel.  But with
> linux-image-2.6.24-1-686 on Lenny, I just had to install the debian kernel
> and it worked for me.  Which is great, no more patch, build bhe kernel,
> build the module routine.  But, with a kernel you are rolling yourself,
> you shouldnt need any other outside packages other than the firmware for
> the card. Might be something worth while to try out, that is unless there
> are some other gotchas for your laptop.  Also, this is on a lenovo T61.
>
> --

I'm using a Z61M, which is pretty similar to the T61, I think. I tried
the stock Debian kernel 2.6.24 plus firmware-iwlwifi from Sid but
although the wireless card does seem to be recognized  it doesn't
connect. I spent several days wrestling with it but gave up in the end
and stayed with the older kernel.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk