Re: Urgent: upgrading ipw3945 to 2.6.24

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 01 Apr 2008, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 April 2008 05:26, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running Lenny. I usually accept all the upgrades
> > > im offered, so i upgraded my kernel recently.
> > >
> > > Now my Intel wireless card doesnt work, because i had
> > > been using the ipw3945-modules-2.6.22 package, and now
> > > im running kernel version 2.6.24. And i cant find the
> > > package for ipw2945 2.6.24 anywhere.
> > >
> > > I know im just being stupid, but where do i find this?
> > > Or is there some other way to get my wireless working
> > > again?
> > >
> > > Thanx!
> > >
> > > Jen
> >

> > Here:
> > http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ipw3945&searchon=names&suite=testing&section=all
> >
> > Do you have contrib and non-free in your sources.list?
> > Thierry
> >

> That's all very well, but I couldn't get ipw3945-modules-2.6.24 to build
> for me, although 2.6.23 did. And don't say I should switch to iwl3945
> because I've never got that to work in spite of following all the
> instructions. As a result of this "improvement" I cannot use a kernel
> later than 2.6.23 in my laptop.
>
> Anthony

As of kernel 2.6.24 the driver for the 3945 and 4965 intel wireless cards
have been built into the kernel. While I do not have a 3945, I have the
4965.  I was building the modules for each kernel.  But with
linux-image-2.6.24-1-686 on Lenny, I just had to install the debian kernel
and it worked for me.  Which is great, no more patch, build bhe kernel,
build the module routine.  But, with a kernel you are rolling yourself,
you shouldnt need any other outside packages other than the firmware for
the card. Might be something worth while to try out, that is unless there
are some other gotchas for your laptop.  Also, this is on a lenovo T61.

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.