Re: Postfix Access Problem - Fixed

Mike Bird wrote:
On Mon March 31 2008 13:36:28 Thomas H. George wrote:
Ran apt-get install postfix and then fetchmail.  Fetchmail saw the
messages but could not post them (and, therefore did not purge them).

tail /var/log/syslog reported /etc/mail did not contain access.db.  (The
relevant output is attached as post.txt.)

man access listed modifications to /etc/postfix/main.cf and
/etc/postfix/access which I made.  These did not correct the problem.  I
read all the files in /usr/share/postfix and found a reference to access
on line 201 of main.cf.dist with a reference to proxymap service but I
can't locate any such service.

You sometimes refer to /etc/mail and sometimes to /etc/postfix.  You
probably want all postfix related files to be in /etc/postfix.  If
your main.cf refers to /etc/mail, change it to refer to /etc/postfix.

If you have /etc/postfix/access but no /etc/postfix/access.db try running
"postmap access" and then restart postfix.

--Mike Bird

Thanks, postmap access did the trick. I don't know why I didn't find this in all my reading yesterday, but I didn't. At any rate fetchmail works and mutt reads the incoming mail.

Mailing from mutt still does not work so there is still an unsolved problem.

Tom