configuration of a linux router

My LAN has a Debian router, joule, and two subordinate
machines, curie and heaviside.  The three connect to an
old Linksys 10Base-T hub.  joule connects to a
cable modem through a second NIC and runs

Currently I want to add a third NIC to joule,
remove the hub and connect each of curie and heaviside
to a NIC in joule using a crossover cable.
All appears OK except that curie and heaviside fail to
communicate with each other.

The output of cat /etc/network/interfaces
and netstat -r follow.

Thanks for any ideas,       ... Peter E.

joule:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo eth0 eth1 eth2
# The loopback network interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#iface eth0 inet static
#	address
#	netmask
#	gateway

# The interface to curie
iface eth1 inet static
	up	route add -host dev $IFACE
	down	route del -host dev $IFACE

# The interface to heaviside
iface eth2 inet static
	up	route add -host dev $IFACE
        down	route del -host dev $IFACE

joule:~# netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
heaviside       *      UH        0 0          0 eth2
curie           *      UH        0 0          0 eth1      *        U         0 0          0 eth1      *        U         0 0          0 eth2     *        U         0 0          0 eth0
default         UG        0 0          0 eth0

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/