Re: low-MHz server

I am surprised no one mentione PPC hardware. There are old PowerMac towers that come with a huge room inside to install hard drives and etc. As I remember correctly, I am pretty sure there was a model with two processors in them (Motorola 604s or 603s). That would be a much better choice than an x86 system in my opinion. Although these are old world macs and might require you to install Mac OS 8 or 9 and then install linux after that.

OpenBSD would be another good choice as the base install quite small compared to Debian.

Even better is NetBSD. Fairly small footprint and supports over 50 different architectures.

Good luck,
Amit