Re: mscompress

--- Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:17:23 -0800
> "David Fox" <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1/25/08, Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > > Way above my head, but interesting just the
> same. I
> > > just
> > > sort of wanted to know how to use mscompress to
> > > de-compress
> >
> > Angus:
> >
> > I think you'll find that ordinary unzip or 7zip
> can do that for you.
> > There basically are two kinds of compressed
> executables
> >
> > 1) the executable archive, basically a zip file
> with a little bit of
> > program code that basically says to "unzip me".
> These files are far
> > more common, and handle very well on Linux.
> >
> > 2) the "expand" type compressed exes. These are
> distinct because they
> > all have a trailing _ as part of their name, and
> only seems to be
> > common on Windows installation media, to save
> space on the disks. I
> > don't think there is a tool that will handle this
> natively on Linux.
> >

> Actually mscompress and msexpand were made to handle
> this type of files.
>
> --
> Szia:
> 		Nyizsa.

That is what the sparse description, and the even
sparser documentation would indicate, at least to me
it did. :)

I have tried unzip, and it will not handle exe's. I
have not tried
7zip, since I do not have that prog installed, but
documentation
indicates that it will not either.

I will not trouble the list any further on this issue.

Thanks to all who responded.
Best regards.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Looking for last minute shopping deals?