Re: Strange boot message

Frank McCormick wrote:
Can anyone tell  me what this message in syslog is all about ???

Jan 22 14:30:07 debian kernel: intel_rng: Firmware space is locked
read-only. <4>intel_rng: If you can't or Jan 22 14:30:07 debian
kernel:  don't want to <4>intel_rng: disable this in firmware setup,
and <4>intel_rng: if Jan 22 14:30:07 debian kernel:  you are certain
that your <4>intel_rng: system has a functional Jan 22 14:30:07 debian
kernel:  RNG, try<4>intel_rng: using the 'no_fwh_detect' option.

intel_rng:
Firmware space is locked read-only. If you can't or don't want to disable this in firmware setup, and if you are certain that your system has a functional RNG, try using the 'no_fwh_detect' option.

See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-559170-highlight-.html?sid=a7efc65428c708b5d3986e327046a049
for some info on RNG (Random Number Generator).

Since the error is that the space is locked, rather than missing (not detected), it may be safe to use the no_fwh-detect option for loading this kernel module.

The only issue now is how to do it. I've never done anything with options on autoloaded modules, so I have no suggestions, perhaps others can help here.

--
Bob McGowan