Re: debian 4.0 on ppc

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 04:43:51 +0800
"Mark Quitoriano" <markquitoriano@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> im having a hard time installing debian 4.0 in ppc. im following this
> documentation[1] for booting the CD/DVD. I also tried first the normal
> process booting the CD by pressing C on boot-up but didn't work so i use
> that documentation. Anyway im not sure if that's the right way of booting
> debian in ppc im following the booting for newworld macs and downloaded the
> files from here[2]. I copied the 4 files to the root directory and boot it
> up but nothing happened it just boot up to mac os x again.
>
> Btw my laptop is a Powerbook G4 Aluminum ppc 1GHZ, 1 GB of ram.

Hi there,

sorry to hear that you are having problems. I have installed debian etch on an older powerbook g4 and had no issues at all. In my case, however, there was no Mac OS X. I simply installed Debian Etch 4.0 and this is the only system I have on my laptop.

Do you have a separate partition for Debian Etch? Maybe the problem is OS X takes the entire hard drive and you need a separate partition to install debian.

Amit