Re: mscompress

--- Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Thu January 24 2008, Angus Auld wrote:
> > I found this listed as homepage of mscompress from
> > freshmeat.net:
> >
> > http://martin.hinner.info/mscompress/
> >
> > But, there is little info of help there either.
> > Mysterious.
>
> since this is about a Microsoft product, I think it
> should be taken off-list..
> Microsoft install CDs for win95, win98 and Windows
> XP has an install folder.
> Inside that folder are all the executables to create
> that OS version. I
> forget which executable starts the install,
> something like win32nt.exe . All
> the rest of the executables in that folder are
> compressed using mscompress,
> and the files start with the "_" underbar, like
> _format.exe ..
> to get them to fit on the CD they had to be
> compressed.. they are just single
> files compressed separately, as opposed to a tar or
> ZIP file that compresses
> multiple files at once.. I have no clue why they did
> it.
> I hope this helps a little, take care!
>

> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Well, mscompress is not a Microsoft product. I
installed
it on my Etch system w/apt-get from standard stable
repositories. I wouldn't have thought this to be OT,
or
in need of being taken off list.
It is described as "Microsoft
"compress.exe/expand.exe" compatible (de)compressor".

Thank you for your time and help on this Paul.
Much appreciated.

Best regards.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Be a better friend, newshound, and