Unable to play mp3 files after yesterday's dist-upgrade on Lenny

till yesterday, mp3 files were running fine using totem, xine as well
as VLC. But after a dist-upgrade, it refuses to play in these players.
Currently I am able to play mp3 files with mplayer only.

This is the error message I get when I try to play them with various
applications.

xine - xine engine error - There is no demuxer plugin available to
handle <filename>. Usually this means that the file format was not
recognized.
VLC - no audio sound audible. vlc player progress bar rapidly moves
from 0 to full and then nothing happens.
totem - There is no plugin to handle this movie.

file type of the mp3 file obtained with file command is:-

file.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 23.0 tag, MP3 encoding

Please help. Is there any package that I need to install?

I am using Debian Lenny.