Re: How to wifi with ipw3945 on Dell Vostro ???

Kelly Anderson wrote:

Thought I'd throw in a suggestion that you look into the iwlwifi driver. Intel has moved on to the next "best thing". The iwl driver doesn't require the stupid daemon (a big step). And my initial impression is that it will probably support WEP/WPA more effectively. I haven't used WEP/WPA with it yet but it's on my agenda. I haven't had any issues since I switched from iwp to iwlwifi.
Thanks - this tip made it possible to upgrade to 2.6.23 for me. I didn't know
they changed the driver. And it works nicely with WPA too, something the
old driver didn't.

There is another problem though.
My homemade script uses "iwlist scan" in order to see
where the machine is (at home, at work, at friends/family house)
and then select the appropriate essid, key and other stuff.

This part used to work well - now I always have to try bringing the
network up 2-4 times before it actually works. If I run manually, I see
that iwlist comes up empty many times before it suddenly sees
the available networks and access points.

Setting a longer timeout between bringing up the driver and running
iwlist didn't seem to help. The old driver needed 2s. I tried 4s, but still
have to try many times before iwlist will see anything. Is there a trick
to make this work? Running iwlist in a loop is not what I want, that is error-prone
and wastes CPU. I use the machine in places with no network too.
I want to detect the available networks in minimum time and with only one attempt.

Helge Hafting