Re: Etch to Lenny, two kernel options now, why?

Quoth Eduardo M KALINOWSKI:
> Александър Л. Димитров wrote:
>> Having mulitple entries in grub isn't really much of a distraction. And the
>> kernel images don't eat a lot of memory, too. Mine is currently 1.8 MiB,
>> /lib/modules is 12 Mib, but that's only because nvidia's such a fat-ass hog.
>> Otherwise it would be a bout 3 MiB.
>
> Well, your kernels surely are very small:
>
> $ aptitude show linux-image-2.6.22-2-amd64 | grep Size
> Uncompressed Size: 73.3M
>
> (And there's the headers too, necessary for compiling custom modules.)

Well that's because I compile my own kernels :-) No initrd, no hardware support
for hardware that ain't in my laptop, most stuff monolithic with wireless drivers,
nvidia and some acpi as the only modules. Faster bootup, better stability...

But actually, my kernel's quite big. On a thread in the archlinux forums people
bragged about their 1.2-1.4 MiB monolithic kernels...

Still, even 73 MB is nearly nothing at all on modern systems.

Aleks