Re: old-style ipw3945 module on latest kernel?

On 14 Jan 2008, Александър Л. Димитров wrote:
> Hello Anthony,
>
> Quoth Anthony Campbell:
> > I know the latest kernel on sid (2.6.23-1) is supposed to use
> > firmware-iwlwifi because support for Intel Wireless 3945 is built into
> > the kernel. This doesn't work on my Thinkpad Z61M so I have to use the
> > older ipw-3945 modules. These don't exist for the latest kernel so I'm
> > confined to the earlier ones.
> >
> > Is there any way to use the older non-free module on the latest kernel?
>
> I remember having successfully compiled ipw3945 against a debian kernel a year
> ago - kernel was .17 or .18, I think. You have to have the kernel headers and
> then you can just use the standard procedure for compiling it yourself -
> shouldn't be too hard, it's a matter of ./configure && make install once you
> have the headers in place. The new kernel shouldn't pose any obstacles, though I
> only tried it with my own kernel, and not with the official one.
>
> BTW, what do you mean by 'support is built into the kernel'? Is it the vanilla
> kernel or just the Debian patched one? AFAIK, kernel-devs have not yet put iwl*
> into any kernel version since upstream does not consider the driver to be ready
> for day-to-day use (or are my informations outdated?). Only the mac80211 and
> cfg80211 bits are in the kernel - which are fairly generic. sid-repos do have
> the iwl-firmware, however.
>
> Aleks

I take it you mean compile ipw3945-source, from the Sid repository -- or
from Sourceforge?

When I say it's in the kernel, I meant the Debian patched one. I was
going by some info from Google, which I think came from this list
originally. Someone said they couldn't find ipw3945-modules for a 2.6.23
kernel and they were told to use firmware-iwlwifi instead, which worked
for them. Not for me, however.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian