Re: old-style ipw3945 module on latest kernel?

Hello Anthony,

Quoth Anthony Campbell:
> I know the latest kernel on sid (2.6.23-1) is supposed to use
> firmware-iwlwifi because support for Intel Wireless 3945 is built into
> the kernel. This doesn't work on my Thinkpad Z61M so I have to use the
> older ipw-3945 modules. These don't exist for the latest kernel so I'm
> confined to the earlier ones.
>
> Is there any way to use the older non-free module on the latest kernel?

I remember having successfully compiled ipw3945 against a debian kernel a year
ago - kernel was .17 or .18, I think. You have to have the kernel headers and
then you can just use the standard procedure for compiling it yourself -
shouldn't be too hard, it's a matter of ./configure && make install once you
have the headers in place. The new kernel shouldn't pose any obstacles, though I
only tried it with my own kernel, and not with the official one.

BTW, what do you mean by 'support is built into the kernel'? Is it the vanilla
kernel or just the Debian patched one? AFAIK, kernel-devs have not yet put iwl*
into any kernel version since upstream does not consider the driver to be ready
for day-to-day use (or are my informations outdated?). Only the mac80211 and
cfg80211 bits are in the kernel - which are fairly generic. sid-repos do have
the iwl-firmware, however.

Aleks