Re: capacitor plague; was Re: Debian on IBM NetVista Type 6578-RAU

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Steve,
>
> sr> I can almost guarantee the capacitors are oozing onto the motherboard.
>
> Sure enough, six of the capacitors alongside the
> cpu are bulging.  All are from the same manufacturer.
>
> The problem is well documented.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>
> I'm tempted to try to replace the caps.  The only
> deterent is fear of breaking one of the delicate
> traces on the p.c.b.  Has anyone succeeded in
> resurrecting a board from this failure?
>
> Thanks,        ... Peter E.

Yes, I got an IBM NetVista (2257-B4U) for using parts (it was just
rebooting like crazy). On closer examination, I found lots of capacitors
had bulged. To try my luck I ordered equivalents for all electrolytic
caps on the motherboard. Its been working nicely ever since.

/KS
PS: you need to have good soldering skills to put the caps on though.