Strange behaviour of K3B

I am trying to burn a Data DVD+R

When I load a blank DVD into the drive, it pops up a dialog asking me
what I want to do.

When I have a blank DVD in the drive the left hand top pane in k3b shows
the drive with the media loaded (and when I have no media loaded it
says teh drive is empty - so media detection is working).

When I hit the burn button, the dialog box that pops up normally has a
drop down box which says the type of media detected.  This remains
steadfastly saying no media loaded regardless of whether I have or
not - meaning I cannot start the burn.

Any suggestions
--
Alan Chandler