Re: Burn CD

> Wodim is nothing but a fork of a quite old version of cdrecord and, as
> far as I know, only exists inside Debian. The main reason for this fork
> are a dispute over Jörg Schilling's (cdrecord author) licensing and (at

There is a lot of missinformation spread from a few Debian people.
These people now claim that there is a license problem but they started the
dispute by attacking the cdrtools project _before_ I changed the license.

The license change was a reaction on these attacks.

Later these Debian people started to claim that there is a license problem
with the original project. There was (and still is) a lot of FUD spread by
these people. It makes no sense to try commenting this in detail. Let me
give a short comment on the claims:

These Debian people missinterpret the GPL and if you follow their
interpretation, wodim would be definitely violating the GPL. If you use an
GPL interpretation under that wodim is legal, cdrtools is of course also legal.

The real problem is a problem caused by the fact that the people who "created"
the wodim "project" don't like to cooperate in a way that results in quality.
I cannot accept patches that don't fix the problems they are intended to fix
but introduce bugs instead.

> However, from a user's point of view, wodim is a drop-in replacement for
> cdrecord as a CD (and DVD?) burning application. It works almost

Given the fact that wodim misses a lot of features that are supported by
cdrecord since a long time and given the fact that wodim is completely unable
to talk to the drive under some conditions (e.g. suse 10.2 on a IBM laptop),
I don't see wodim as a "drop in replacememt"

> exactly, if not better in some respects, like cdrecord did a few years
> ago (I don't know which version of cdrecord wodim is based on). On the

Let me give you a simple explanation that verifies that your claim is wrong:
wodim does not implement a single feature that cdrecord did not already
implement _before_ wodim came up in September 2006.

> other hand, wodim doesn't appear to be actively developed anymore, only
> maintained. But since I have never had any problems with it, I don't
> care very much.

Wodim is neither developed nor maintained. It replicates the same stages
as a similar "fork" from 2001:

1)      declare a license problem

2)      rip off the working buid system and replace it by something broken

3)      the code does not even work on Linux on x86 anymore

4)      fix the bugs introduced by the build system change

5)      stop working on the code after 80% of these bugs have been fixed.

Debian lists more than 60 important bugs for the project. None of these problems
has been fixed during the past 8 months. If wodim was still maintained, I would
expect to see bug fixes.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)